Rebecca Pero (Ph.D. Candidate)
Office: Mackintosh-Corry Hall, Room D322
Phone: (613) 533-6000 ext. 75732
- M.A. Sociology, Queen’s University, Kingston (2011)
- B.A. (Hons) Sociology (Major), Psychology (Minor), Queen’s University, Kingston (2006)
- B.A. Thesis: “The Changing Face of American Beauty: A Socio-historical Analysis of Films from the 1920s and 1950s” - under the supervision of Dr. Roberta Hamilton
- International Migration, Immigration, Policy, and Citizenship
- Borders and Security, Insecurity and Social Control
- Geographies of Inequality
- Pero, Rebecca and Harrison Smith. 2014. “In the ‘Service’ of Migrants: The Temporary Resident Biometrics Project and the Economization of Migrant Labor in Canada.” Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 104(2): 401–411.
- Kingston Immigration Partnership Intern, developed a reporting tool, Queen's University, Kingston (2012)
- Research Assistant, examined Local Immigration Partnership strategy documents and recorded indicators of organizational best practices, Welcoming Communities Initiative and Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Kingston (2011)
*Results were published in a report titled Organizational Best Practices of Local Immigration Partnerships, authored by Adnan Qayyum and Meyer Burstein (2012).
- Geography 257: Geographies of Middle America with Dr. George Lovell (Winter Term 2014)
- Geography 254: The Caribbean in a Globalizing World with Kay-Ann Williams (Fall Term 2013)
- Geography 229: Place, Space, Culture, and Social Life with Kay-Ann Williams (Winter Term 2013)
- Geography 101: Introduction to Human Geography with Dr. Anne Godlewska and Dr. Joyce Davidson (Fall Term 2012)
- Geography 101: Intro to Human Geography with Dr. Giselle Valarezo (Winter Term 2012)
- Geography 258: Geographies of South America with Dr. George Lovell (Fall Term 2011)
- Sociology 301: Urban Societies, Space and Culture with Dr. David Murakami Wood (Winter Term 2011)
- Sociology 362: Cultural Studies with Dr. Annette Burfoot (Fall Term 2010)
- VP Graduate, the Society of Graduate and Professional Students, Queen's University (2012-2014)
- International Student Affairs Commissioner, the Society of Graduate and Professional Students, Queen’s University (2010-2012)
- Development Officer, Easter Seals Ontario, Kingston (2008-2010)
|Global Development Studies 305: Cuban Culture and Society, Queen’s University (2010), Teaching Assistant
- Completed a course that consisted of two weeks at both Queen’s University and the Universidad de Habana, in Havana, Cuba.
|International Communities of Women Living with HIV (ICW), Buenos Aires, Argentina, Volunteer (2009)
- Volunteered at a five day conference where I provided auxiliary support to attendees.
|Che Guevara Volunteer Work Brigade, Santa Clara, Cuba, Scholarship Winner (2008)
- Participated in a three-week volunteer work brigade organized by the Canadian Network on Cuba.
- Enjoy hawaiian and salsa dancing
- Volunteer with Downtown Kingston Business Improvement Area
- Play softball and paddle board
Certificates and Awards
- Queen’s Graduate Award (2009-Present)
- Robert Charles Wallace Graduate Award (2013-2014)
- Geography Exceptional Merit Award (2013-2014)
- School of Graduate Studies' Dean's Award (2012-2014)
- Graduate Education Tuition Award (2011-2012)
- Achievement in Spanish at St. Lawrence College, Kingston, Ontario (2008)